Tuesday 15 September 2015

SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION



SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION is a theory put forward in 1929 by Hungarian Frigyes Karinthy, He suggested that everybody and everything is connected by up to six steps. So what's this to do with beer ?  Well here goes.....


At a recent visit to the Cross Keys in Washington, I noticed they were selling bottles of Monteiths Southern Pale, from New Zealand . I tried some and it was quite refreshing. So why an interest in this particular ale and how did it end up there ?

 
Step 1

Drinking the beer reminded me of a holiday down under  we had in 2012. We visited North Island , New Zealand for a few days and our first stop was Auckland. Now as luck would have it one of the best places to have a beer is  the Shakespeare Brewery and Hotel, just around the corner from our hotel.  Sheer coincidence honest!    

This is a late Victorian building, with 3 bars and where New Zealand's first brewpub was set up in 1986. Usually one of their beers is on sale at any one time, the rest is made up of "guests". 

Step 2

I immediately spotted in the restaurant bar one of the guest taps was called Monteiths Black. I’d not heard of the brewery or the beer and, I as I like dark beers,  I ordered one.  At 5.2%, this is brewed with 5 malts. My mouth was immediately full of biscuit, chocolate and coffee flavours which stayed on the palate long after I had finished. This turned out to be the best beer of the entire holiday. 

Step 3

Doing a bit of digging later, I discovered that Monteiths are based in the town of Greymouth on the South Island. In the late 60's it was taken over by DB Breweries, one of New Zealand's beer giants. In 2001  DB announced the closure of the Monteith brewery, but such was the outcry, this decision was quickly reversed. By quickly I mean 4 days later. One of the champions of this campaign was the wonderfully named SOBA, the Society of Beer Advocates. This is the NZ equivalent of CAMRA. Inspired by CAMRA, they were formed after becoming fed up with fizzy yellow stuff dominating the market. (see link below to SOBA website)


Step 4

Anyhow, back to Monteiths. There is still no obvious connection yet with the Southern Pale turning up in one of my locals. Well, in 2013 DB Breweries , by now part of Asia Pacific Breweries ( I know, but stick with it, nearly there) were taken over by Heineken

Step 5

So one guess who supplies the drinks for the Cross Keys? Correct. 

Step 6

The Cross Keys recently reintroduced real ale, hence my visit, otherwise would not have seen and drank the Monteiths Southern Pale.


I rest my case.

Read more about Monteiths here:-

No comments:

Post a Comment