Wednesday 7 October 2015

SUNDERLAND AND SOUTH TYNESIDE OCTOBERFEST DAY 2

To recap, this week its the Sunderland and South Tyneside CAMRA Octoberfest. Yesterday was the first set up day, and a post of our adventures can be found here :-

So , good news, the missing wooden cask of Webb Ellis has been found !  

I turned up at Maxim Tuesday lunchtime and there it was, sitting all alone on a fork lift truck. We had just missed it yesterday , that was all. 

Now I would like to say I lifted the HEAVY wooden cask into the boot of the car, but I didnt. Someone else did, making it look effortless. Driving away I immediately thought , Ive got to get this thing out at the other end yet.

Needless to say, the venue, the Bonded Warehouse was locked up again when I arrived, but only for about 10 minutes this time ( the caretaker had gone shopping !).  Fortunately help was at hand to lift the cask and soon it was up next to the bar. Speaking of which, this is what the room  looked like before we started (above left) and this is what it looked like when I turned up ( below). 
  


Soon the last beer, the Darwin Orange IPA arrived,    so we now had all beers and handpulls in place. The main thing later that evening was for the guys with the technical expertise  to connect the casks to the handpulls. ( not me I'm just a grunt )

Today we just concentrated on health and safety issues, a bit of tidy up  and then I turned my attention to washing the festival glasses, ( in a glass washer,  not by hand). Of the 400 that were ordered, I managed to get about 100 done before I got bored. Time to head off home for my tea, then out for a few beers tonight.  

My next visit will be Friday, Day 2 of the actual event. Its Mrs Kens birthday on opening day and I know what my priorities are ; well at least Ive been told what my priorities are !


3 comments:

  1. A tiring but thoroughly satisfying couple of nights work. Glad to have a day to rest today and then we can sample some of the ales from tomorrow and on. I must say, the beer list this year looks particularly impressive and I'm very much looking forward to trying many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stan, Thanks for the comment. I'm looking forward to trying the beers as well, although not till Friday afternoon. If you've not had it before, I would recommend the Roosters Baby Faced Assassin

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete