Sunday 13 December 2015

MY FIRST STOUT


Usually when faced with a choice of real ales in a pub, if available I will go for a stout. Notable examples include Hambleton Nightmare, Youngs Double Chocolate, Hook Norton Double Stout and lately Maxim John Bull Stout. 

So where did this fixation come from ? Well remember the advertising slogan "looks good, tastes good and by golly it does you good!"? This was used from 1965 to advertise Mackeson Milk Stout. ( quiz question, name the actor in the adverts *)  I read somewhere Ena Sharples and her mates drank it in the Rovers Return in Coronation  Street.

Not trying to emulate the aforesaid Ms Sharples, I used to drink it in the early 70s in The Black Bush in Washington; first by itself from the bottle, then  in the form of "Sweet Stout Black Velvet" This was a bottle of Mackeson with a half pint cider poured over it. Its proper name was Poor Mans Black Velvet and I have absolutely no idea why I started drinking it. Maybe because the beer there was crap.

Mackeson started life in Kent in 1907 and since then its production has moved round the country, including locally at Castle Eden and Camerons. Since 2012 it has been brewed by ABInBev.  

Now I don't know why but I never drink beer out of cans. Probably an experience I had with a widget many years ago.  But I keep seeing this stout on supermarket shelves and as it brought back the above memories,   when  I was asked recently what I would like for my birthday, I replied "Some Mackeson Please!"  It appears to be only sold in cans and due to a family breakdown in communication I got 12 of them.

I  prefer stronger beers but this is only 2.8% so a bit of a culture shock then ! The stout was reduced from 3% by the current brewer so less duty would be paid. ( ?)

So what about taste ? Well its obviously weak, you can tell straight away. Being a Milk Stout the sweetness of the lactose  is still there though so overall not bad. Its just a shame its not stronger and more readily available. A stronger version (4.9%) is brewed in Trinidad - why not here ?? !!! I've never seen it in a pub for decades and certainly not on handpull. Probably never will. Still,  Ive got 5 cans left to enjoy over the festivities.

PS - So having successfully baked some Brown Ale bread the other week ( READ ABOUT IT HERE ) gave me idea that this would go nice in bread as well. It sure did. It came out a nice light texture brown colour as shown. Delicious.  


*Quiz Answer - Bernard Miles



1 comment:

  1. Good review. But your right, stout should come in at 4.5-5%. If you are ever able to find it, Wellington's Milk Chocolate stout or Nickelbrook's Bolshevik Bastard (both from Ontario, Canada) are stellar.
    The Maadmen

    ReplyDelete