Tuesday 6 March 2018

DEJA VU AT VESTA TILLEYS

I was in Sunderland yesterday ( renewing Metro pass) and as it seemed foolish just to go and come back I decided to drop in a pub. Now in recent weeks have been in most city centre pubs apart from Vesta Tilleys opposite the Sunderland Empire.- not been in since it reopened so why not. Its also very close to The Dun Cow, The Engine Room and The Peacock. ( the latter is significant)

Ordered a Double Maxim and a bag of Nobbys Nuts - If your going to have lunch- may as well go overboard. As I sat down I looked round and noticed that the majority of the clientele were older men sitting by themselves. In fact it was strange. There was half a dozen and all sitting at alternative tables by themselves ( like me)

As I savoured my beer & my nuts I thought...Ive seen this scene somewhere before !!   Sure enough, it was the one and only time I had been into the Londonderry pub ( now the Peacock). I recall then ordering a Double maxim and a bag of Nobbys Nuts and seeing half a dozen older men sitting, either staring into space and drinking their John Smiths or Carlsberg, watching the racing or reading the paper.

What happened when the Londonderry closed and was then reopened, these guys had to find another home, so it looks like they drifted into the Vesta Tilley nearby, and have remained. The prices in the Peacock have been bumped up , so they haven't gone back..

What got me about all of this, none of them spoke to each other- they were all in their own little world. There was no groups around tables having conversation, just like the Londonderry days.  And I did exactly the same !!

And the pub ? Well there were three handpulls, beer was well kept and under £3, friendly barmaid who kept calling everybody darling , comfortable seats. Great for a quick lunchtime visit, just dont expect any of the locals to speak !

No comments:

Post a Comment