Saturday 9 November 2019

AN OLD STORY FROM THE DUN COW


As it was a miserable rainy day yesterday I decided to have a drive and and survey some of the pubs in our branch. The final port of call was to belatedly drop some CAMRA magazines off at the Dun Cow Seaton, near Seaham. Sipping a very pleasant half of Black Sheep  bitter I got chatting to the manager. So we discussed pubs and beer and CAMRA, then I happened to mention this :-

" Last time I was here I was with some mates, it was a nice sunny day and we sat in the beer garden and one of the picnic tables went over, soaking one of the guys"

He said " Yes, I remember that, I was watching at the upstairs window and I was absolutely pissing myself, especially when your mate started taking his wet clothes off!"

 Anyhow, I posted a blog at the time, so here it is again.:-


The Dun Cow in Seaton Village is tucked away in a quiet cul de sac. Four handpulls and a large sunny garden with picnic tables greeted us. Ordering some Oakham JHB and a Guinness, the 6 of us headed for the ( as it turned out) most unstable table in the garden. 

Two were sitting opposite me ( so combined weight was greater than mine.) Someone said, "move along so we can all get on", so I dutifully stood up to move sideways. The opposite side of the bench was now heavier than my side, and being on slightly unstable ground, this resulted in a slight tilt towards the heavy side. 4 pints of nearly full glasses went flying , tipping most of the contents over one of the other two opposite. 

We were too busy laughing to offer any sympathy as the drowned rat proceeded to strip off his jeans to dry on a wall. 

I took the empty glasses back into the bar and relayed our incident to the barmaid. She said " Oh yes, I know which table you mean, that's happened before !"  We got free replacement drinks. So no profit for the Dun Cow from us then !

No comments:

Post a Comment