Wednesday 12 August 2015

GREAT BRITISH BEER FESTIVAL - EPISODE 3.

Well I see the Champion Beer of Britain 2015 has been announced.   It is ( drum roll) :-

TINY REBEL'S CWTCH. 

I am unfamiliar with this Newport based brewery and the beer. It won Gold in the Best Bitter Class and overall Gold as Champion.

The full list can be viewed here


Have been scratching my head about the beers' pronunciation. Found a Welsh dictionary which suggested either Cootch or Cutch. 

Now if it's anything like previous years, when we get there the winner will have sold out, with a promise that another cask will be available mid afternoon.Cue mid afternoon and a long queue will develop with punters gasping to try the winner. In 2014 you may recall the winner was Timothy Taylor's Boltmaker. The group I was with were not that excited so we didn't bother. I had drank it already so didn't waste time queuing.

It remains to be seen what will happen in tomorrow.

I was particularly pleased that Titanic Plum Porter triumphed in the Specialty Beer Award. If you haven't  tried it, I would seriously recommend it. Fitzgeralds in Sunderland have it as a house beer.

Finally , mention of a North East beer that achieved bronze in the Bottled Beer section ; Mordue India Pale Ale..well done !

One more thing. On the bus in London from Kings Cross to Olympia two years ago I spotted actor Julian Rhind-Tutt walking along Oxford Street.  I mentioned it with great enthusiasm when I met up with everyone at the festival. " Who?" seemed to be the most common statement. 

"Well you know, he's been in loads of things" without actually having a clue what. If you are reading this Julian, I tried mate. Anyhow, to put you out of your misery, I last saw him on TV in that Aussie convict drama Banished. 
Click here for the final chapter :- GBBF 2015 Aftermath

No comments:

Post a Comment