Wednesday 19 June 2019

IVE GOT A NEW TOY

This is two blogs in one.

When I go to a pub I like to record what I have drunk and I either take a picture of the handpull pump clip or write the beer down. This is sometimes useful to keep our brnach whatpub records up to date. The number of times Ive come back from the bar , usually which has a multiple choice and some new beers, to be asked " what are you drinking ?"  "Er hang on, back in a minute."

So with that in mind I was advised on an app you can download which converts speech to text. Using this I could talk into my phone and note down the name of the pub and the name of the beer (s). This app is called Otter.

So I downloaded it and first tried it out in The Wicket Gate, Chester Le St, having a pint of Black Sheep Holy Grail.

Me - "Wicket Gate - Monty Python Holy Grail"

Otter -  "We could get more depressants, holy grail" 

I thought, this is going to be a hoot using this. Mrs Ken pointed out it would be easier writing it down, and besides, it was picking up nearby conversations.

We then drove up to Glasgow for a long weekend  and met daughter in our favourite pub, The Bon Accord

Me - "Bon Accord - Mikado Mild" *

Otter - "Corner code- McArdle miles"  

* Brewed by Pheasantry Brewery from Nottinghamshire

After a couple of these during our meal , I then had a final half 

Me - "Bon Accord - Half of Old Peculier"

Otter - "Know they fill it okay perfect balance of honor code or peculiar"

Try unpicking this one! This had obviously picked up a background conversation. 

We then moved on to a bar called the Ben
Nevis, and according to Otter, I had a "Candle Burn Sunrise".  This was actually Kelburn Sunrise so close!

Our final pub, just round the corner was called 78, where I had a March of The Penguins *, which was correctly translated into text...starting to get the hang of this now. Note to self - " make sure no one is talking nearby"

* Williams Brothers - excellent 

Some people in the pub were playing games such as scrabble. We found a pack of picture cards where you play a more complicated version of snap. Now bearing in mind I was now onto my fifth pint, as she was dealing the cards, the daughter warned me in no uncertain  terms " dont knock your pint over !"

Just as she said it, she knocked her own drink over ! The timing was perfect.

Half went on the table soaking my cards, half on my right leg, half on the floor and half over this dog at the next table who never moved ( Ed - hang on that's 4 halves.....oh never mind)

I got wrong for laughing !

No comments:

Post a Comment