Saturday 3 August 2019

A PINT OF ORANGES AND LEMONS AND AN ELECTRIC LAWN SCARIFIER

 

Last night Mrs Ken and I attended a Maxim Brewery open night, which they hold once a month. 8 real ales were on offer . 

Arriving early into the main bar, we were greeted as I ordered a pint of Oranges & Lemons, a new beer. It was mentioned there were so freebies ?  Thinking this referred to bottles of beer it grabbed my interest. 

"Would you like an lawn scarifier for nothing"

Sorry       

"A lawn scarifier"...its next door ( in the main brewery hall)

What on earth is a lawn scarifier ?

Its for raking the lawn and getting all the moss up - I was told

So Mrs Ken disappeared to view our potential new toy while I continued enjoying my beer. She came back saying its ours. There were other giveaways as well. Again, expecting some beer I went to have a look ...at a box of old vinyl albums.

Mostly Bing Crosby, Perry Como and KTEL presents ( remember them ?) Mrs Ken suggested one of these would make a great birthday pressie for one of my mates.

Lets explain that last sentence. 6 of us meet every Tuesday night and when its someones birthday, the other 5 provide gifts, usually something rescued from a charity shop and usually a few beers. One guy always bring out a vinyl album as a gift. Last time for mine I got an LP by Henry Cooper singing ( yes, the boxer). Its still upstairs somewhere. So time to get my own back. 

I selected "Million Seller Hits of 69, Carlini's World of Strings !" --- no me neither. Being released in 1970 it had the obligatory female model on the front to make people look at the cover. Tracks include Guantanamera, Windmills of your mind and My Way.....Cant wait to play it later

Anyhow, back to the scarifier... We were there about 2 hours as the brewery got fuller and fuller of locals from the surrounding area out for the night drinking great beer. Suddenly something  dawned on the wife  - "we are going have to wheel that thing out to the car in front of all these people"

" What do you mean we?...Ive got the LP to carry "  

Anyhow, time to leave as she grabbed the new toy and trundled it outside ( I held the doors open) . There were 2 smokers outside who looked on with mild amusement as we struggled to get the thing in the back of the car.

We may well go back next month...could do with a new strimmer.


No comments:

Post a Comment